Free Food and Drink
Try telling hunter gatherers that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch! Though anathema to civilized man, hunting and gathering is the oldest and most natural way to procure food, and will surely outlive the short-sighted and destructive practice of industrial farming. For those with access to land, self-grown food is a popular alternative to purchasing food.
Free meals to over 200 people were offered daily by The Diggers in the Haight-Ashbury region of San Francisco in 1967-68.
- CA, San Francisco
- OR, Portland - http://cityrepair.org/events/t-horse/ - Free tea, biscuits and more
- Nationwide Movements
Free food is more available than you might think!
- Falling Fuit is a global, collaborative map of urban edibles (everything from fruit trees to dumpsters).
- Dumpster diving is a practical means to find free food as well as other stuff, especially in urban areas.
- Foraging, especially in rural areas, it's possible to find edible wild plants and mushrooms.
- Guerrilla Gardening is a simple way to give back to the community by increasing others' chances at foraging.